In this post you find the information you need to make an Ubuntu blanket. Ubuntu is the Scheepjes CAL 2018, and is designed by Dedri Uys from Look At What I Made. Ubuntu blanket is a hexagonal blanket, made with six diamond motifs and a detailed border. In this post, under Resources and Yarn Kits, you find the written patterns, and yarn kits to you need for Ubuntu. Under Video Tutorials, you find all the links to the left and right handed instruction videos.
- Add this pattern to your Ravelry library
- Written pattern and translations on Scheepjes website
- English (International) Facebook group hosting the CAL
- Dutch Facebook group hosting the CAL
- Official Social media tag: #ScheepjesUbuntuCAL
What is Ubuntu?
I have lived in South Africa for almost 20 years and I understand what Dedri means when she talks about ubuntu. Africa is all about family, about belonging to a community, and about caring for others. Ubuntu is a complex word which has many meanings. I believe Nelson Mandela, the late president of South Africa whom I have a deep respect for, explains ubuntu beautifully in this short video.
Crochet is also ubuntu; we enrich our lives with our craft and we develop our skills when me make something new. Our crochet community is also ubuntu, we care and support each other as we make beautiful things together. When we crochet and share our craft, we are putting a part of what ubuntu means into practice.
There are 3 yarn kits available to make the Ubuntu blanket. The kits are available in different price points to fit every budget. The 3 kits are
- Small Kit containing Scheepjes Cotton 8 yarns to make a blanket sized 120cm(47″) x 104cm(41″), an official CAL label, button, and a set of vintage stitch markers.
- Medium Kit containing Scheepjes Stone Washed yarns to make a blanket sized 151cm(49″) x 131cm(51″), an official CAL label, button, a set of vintage stitch markers, and a goody pack containing everything you need to make your own beaded friendship bracelet designed by Dedri.
- Large Kit containing Stone Washed XL & River Washed XL to make a blanket sized 192cm(75″) x 167cm(65″), an official CAL label, button, a set of vintage stitch markers, and a goody pack to make the beaded friendship bracelet.
I have step-by-step video tutorials available to show you how to make your Ubuntu blanket ever step of the way. The videos are available in English (UK Terms), and Dutch, both in left and right handed versions. All the videos are grouped in playlists given in the following links.
- YouTube playlist with all English (UK Terms) videos – right handed
- YouTube playlist with all English (UK Terms) videos – left handed
- YouTube playlist met alle Nederlandse videos – rechtshandig
- YouTube playlist met alle Nederlandse videos – linkshandig
Ubuntu is about friendships, building relationships, family, belonging to a community, and about caring for others. Ubuntu is a complex word which has many meanings, all about family, about belonging to a community, and about caring for others. Ubuntu is a complex word which has many meanings. In the medium and large blanket kits, there is a beading loom included to make a lovely bracelet and pendant, a perfect gift for a friend or someone who means a lot to you. I also have a video tutorial to show you how to make the bracelet and pendant.
I have made a video tutorial showing how to make the friendship bracelet. I start the video by looking at the contents of the kit and I show you how to assemble the loom. If you have never used a loom before, assembling it can be very confusing. A small secret; I had to google how to assemble the thing because I had no clue!
Making the bracelet is a fiddly process, especially the first few rows of the bracelet. I show you how to tread the loom and work the first few rows. When you have the first rows done, the rest becomes easier, just follow the chart. We finish the bracelet by tying all the treads together and attaching the clasp.
I have an English and Dutch video to show you how to work the bracelet. This time only a right handed version for both videos because if I flip the video for left handed it will get very confusing because I am referring to left and right all the time in the video.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure and copyright policy. All opinions are my own and I only link to products I use or would use. Thank you for using the links on my blog and supporting my work.
Copyright (c) 2023 It’s all in a Nutshell Creations. All rights reserved.