Welcome to Nuts about Squares Crochet Along 2017. In this CAL we are making 35 amazing squares designed by 11 talented designers. After joining it all together we add a textured border as the final cherry on top. In this post I summarize all relevant information and link to other parts of the CAL.
Quick jump to the part you need!
- Contributing designers
- Blanket Size
- Yarn kits in 3 colorways
- Additional yarn/color options
- Individual parts of Nuts about Squares
- Meet the testers!
- Designs: The squares featured in this CAL will be announced each Friday here on my blog with links to the original patterns. Certain patterns are paid, but will be made available for free during the CAL.
- Languages: The written patterns will be available in English and Dutch.
- Video Tutorials: I will have free English step-by-step video tutorials for each part of Nuts about Squares.
- Printing/PDF: There is a print-friendly button at the bottom of each post. You can use this print-friendly button to print/save the info for each part.
- Facebook: Join the Official CCC Social Group on Facebook if you would like to be a part of a community while you make your blanket.
- Ravelry: Add Nuts about Squares CAL to your Ravelry queue
- Instagram: If you are on Instagram, you can tag me into your photo’s or use #NAS or #NutsAboutSquares to help me find it.
Nuts about Squares is a blanket with 35 lovely squares designed by 11 talented crochet designers. Some of them are well known and admired for their fabulous designs, others are perhaps less known. Contributing designers are Dedri Uys, Helen Shrimpton, Polly Plum, Sigrun Hugoey, Melissa Green, Heather Gibbs, Julie Yeager, Margaret MacInnis, Susan Stevens/Mellie Blossom, Aurora Suominen, and Tatsiana Kupryianchyk. Each square has been carefully selected to ensure that the squares work together well in their look and feel.
The squares used in Nuts about Squares are all originally designed for worsted weight yarn with a 5.0mm or 5.5mm hook and measure 12 inches. However, I have used Double Knit, Sport weight and Fingering weight yarn to have smaller sized blankets. The final sizes of the blankets are approximately
- Sea – Color Crafter (Double Knit) with 4.0/4.5mm hook – 130cm x 180cm
- Earth – Stone Washed (Sport) with 3.5/4.0mm hook – 115cm x 160cm
- Sky – Sunkissed (Fingering) with 3.0/3.5mm hook – 100cm x 140cm
As such gauge is not critical in this project. What is important is that all your squares are the same size. For each square the recommended hook size will be given which should help you to get a consistent size between all your squares.
The yarn amounts and blanket sizes are estimated on squares which have the following dimensions:
- Color Crafter – 25cm (10in)
- Stone Washed – 22cm (9in)
- Sunkissed – 20cm (7.5in)
If your squares are larger, that is not a problem for the final blanket. It can however imply that you could run out of yarn, even though there is some extra yarn in the kits.
In my opinion this project can be classified as intermediate, or suitable for the adventurous beginner. I hope that the detailed video tutorials help to make the project suitable for beginners also.
To make a Nuts about Squares blanket you need yarn in 6 colors and 2 crochet hook sizes. There are 3 kits available that contain 6 colors which I have labeled colors A to F. I refer to these color labels during the entire CAL when specifying colorways for each square.
|A||9 x Brown Agate
|4 x Den Helder
|6 x Ocean Side
|B||7 x Boulder Opal
|3 x Texel
|5 x Sand Dunes
|C||5 x Green Agate
|2 x Zwolle
|3 x Summer Rain
|D||6 x Amazonite
|3 x Alkmaar
|4 x Soft Cloud
|E||6 x New Jade
|3 x Almelo
|4 x Rock Pool
|F||5 x Moon Stone
|2 x Zandvoort
|3 x Strawberry Ice
* kits can also contain Barneveld (1005) in stead of Zandvoort (1218)
** kits can also contain Cotton 8 Light Grey (700) in stead of Sunkissed Soft Cloud (16)
You need 2 hook sizes to make the blanket. You need a 3.5mm (US E/4) and 4.0mm (US G/6) hook to make the Nuts about the Earth blanket, a 4.0mm (US G/6) and 4.5mm (US 7) hook to make the Nuts about the Sea blanket, and a 3.0mm (US D/3) and 3.5mm (US E/4) hook to make the Nuts about the Sky blanket.
More details about the yarn in the kits as well as tips for making your own colorway you can find HERE.
The 3 colorways Nuts about the Earth, Nuts about the Sea, and Nuts about the Sky are available as kits. They are/were/will be again available from Wool Warehouse and Caro’s Atelier (NL). More Scheepjes stockists are stocking the kits, so keep your eye on your favorite shop! Thank you for supporting my work by buying your yarn through the links on my blog.
If you are looking for other yarn or color combinations for the 3 colorways, you can find more yarn/color suggestions HERE.
- Week 1 – Esme’s Winter Cottage by Dedri Uys
- Week 2 – Spiro Star by Helen Shrimpton
- Week 3 – Denna by Polly Plum
- Week 4 – Le Vesinet by Sigrun Hugoey
- Week 5 – Rachel by Melissa Green
- Week 6 – Bavarian Beauty by Heather Gibbs
- Week 7 – Fantastic by Julie Yeager
- Week 8 – Cat’s Claw my Margaret MacInnes & Tropical Delight by Susan Stevens
- Week 9 – Fall Blossom by Aurora Suominen
- Week 10 – Sweet and Fair by Julie Yeager & Moroccan Window by Heather Gibbs
- Week 11 – In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Lion by Margaret MacInnes
- Week 12 – Lise by Polly Plum
- Week 13/14 – Layout & joining squares
- Week 15 – Border by Tatiana Kupryjanchyk
- Week 16 – Bonus pattern: Mosaic Cushion
- Extra – The making of the videos
Planning and testing a CAL is a lot of work, I have worked for more than a year on the details of Nuts about Squares. I could not have done it on my own and my gratitude goes out to my testers Lynn, Minno, Åza, ChiChi, Laurene, and Betty. They helped me with selecting squares, choosing colors, making the sample blankets and determining yarn amounts. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart ❤
Follow me on
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure and copyright policy. All opinions are my own and I only link to products I use or would use. Thank you for using the links on my blog and supporting my work.