It is time to announce the start of a FABULOUS new crochet along: Ubuntu. Ubuntu is the new Scheepjes CAL and is designed by my dear friend Dedri Uys from Look At What I Made. Dedri has designed a fabulous blanket and I am going to help with the tricky bits by making English and Dutch video tutorials for you.
- Add this pattern to your Ravelry library
- General CAL information on Scheepjes website
- English (International) Facebook group hosting the CAL
- Dutch Facebook group hosting the CAL
- Official Social media tag: #ScheepjesUbuntuCAL
Order Yarn Kits
- Ubuntu kits: Caro’s Atelier (NL/EU)
- Ubuntu kits: Knotty House (CA/USA)
- Ubuntu kits: Deramores (UK)
- Ubuntu kits: Black Sheep Wools (UK)
- Ubuntu kits: Wool Warehouse (UK/International)
What is Ubuntu?
I have lived in South Africa for almost 20 years and I understand what Dedri means when she talks about ubuntu. Africa is all about family, about belonging to a community, and about caring for others. Ubuntu is a complex word which has many meanings. I believe Nelson Mandela, the late president of South Africa whom I have a deep respect for, explains ubuntu beautifully in this short video.
Crochet is also ubuntu; we enrich our lives with our craft and we develop our skills when me make something new. Our crochet community is also ubuntu, we care and support each other as we make beautiful things together. When we crochet and share our craft, we are putting a part of what ubuntu means into practice.
There will be 3 yarn kits available to make Dedri’s hexagonal blanket during the Ubuntu CAL. The kits are available in different price points to fit every budget. The 3 kits are
- Small Kit containing Scheepjes Cotton 8 yarns to make a blanket sized 120cm(47″) x 104cm(41″), an official CAL label, button, and a set of vintage stitch markers.
- Medium Kit containing Scheepjes Stone Washed yarns to make a blanket sized 151cm(49″) x 131cm(51″), an official CAL label, button, a set of vintage stitch markers, and a goody pack containing everything you need to make your own beaded friendship bracelet designed by Dedri.
- Large Kit containing Stone Washed XL & River Washed XL to make a blanket sized 192cm(75″) x 167cm(65″), an official CAL label, button, a set of vintage stitch markers, and a goody pack to make the beaded friendship bracelet.
Kits will be available in stores from August 22nd, 2018. I expect that they will be available from Wool Warehouse (UK/International), Deramores (UK), Black Sheep Wools (UK), Knotty House (CA/USA), Caro’s Atelier (NL/EU), and just about every Scheepjes stockist on the planet. I will send you an update here on my blog when the kits are available for purchase because I am sure you are all wanting to have one!
I will be making video tutorials for Ubuntu using the Large Kit containing Stone Washed XL & River Washed XL yarn. Each week when the pattern is released, I will also release the videos. There will be Dutch and English (UK Terms) videos, both in right and left handed versions. So that is 4 videos each week!
I am already working on the videos and I can tell you, this design is fabulous. It is lovely detailed with lots of surprising tricks to make the final result look even more beautiful. I will be helping you each step of the way, so that as many people as possible can participate. My aim is to make this project accessible to all, no matter what you skill or experience level is.
Starting date and logistics
Ubuntu CAL will start on Wednesday, September 12th, 2018 and will run for 12 weeks till mid December 2018. A new pattern will be released every week in the Dutch and English Facebook groups as well as the Scheepjes website. The written patterns will be available in Dutch, Enlish (US & UK), German, and French.
See you soon for the start of Ubuntu.
Follow me on
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure and copyright policy. All opinions are my own and I only link to products I use or would use. Thank you for using the links on my blog and supporting my work.
© COPYRIGHT IT’S ALL IN A NUTSHELL. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.